Saturday, December 12, 2009

Am I Missing The Point?

Every year, it is tradition that my family and I decorate for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving. This has not been the case this year. Today is December 12 and we have yet to finish decorating. This does not seem to worry my parents the least little bit. We do have a tree up in the living room and that is only because I put together an artificial 7 foot tree myself. Yes, it was a site with me barely reaching over 5 feet myself. Needless to say, it is leaning. However, everything that is up in our house as far as decorations go is because I did it. I do not understand how this does not even phase my parents. Our mantle was changed from Fall to Christmas tonight because I did it. I could not stare one more day at Fall leaves and pumpkins sitting on my mantle. I have not had the time to decorate like I want. For me to work over 40 hours a week is not unusual. Plus, I am currently doing two Bible studies....free time for me is very rare. As an interior designer, the fact that I have not been able to decorate like I want to or like I feel I need to is driving me crazy. In fact, I got upset tonight as I'm trying to fix the garland on the mantle and it just will not work with me like I need it. I just gave up and said forget it. I have been wanting my house to be decorated since Black Friday. Today is December 12.

Maybe it's just not meant to be this year. Maybe I'm totally missing this point on the whole decorating thing. After all, why do we decorate? Why do we put a tree in our house? Why do we put wreaths on the windows and candles in them? Why do we string the garland with lights? What about that reflects Jesus? Does it? I'm not so sure myself.

And maybe instead of telling people that I still haven't had time to finish decorating my house, I'll tell them instead how much I love this time of the year...not because of all the lights and decorations but because I get to celebrate my Savior coming to earth to rescue me....yes, I think I'll do that instead.

As far as the tree goes, I think I'll continue letting it lean.

No comments:

Post a Comment