Monday, September 21, 2009

Identity Crisis?

So often I try to find my identity in things that are not supposed to identify me. I find that society pressures me to assume my next role in life. I've graduated from college so apparently I need to find a job using my degree, get married, go back and get a masters, find my own place, etc. etc. ect. Why do I continue to let these things influence my thoughts and actions? I find myself now that I am out of school needing to explain myself to people. Why do they ask so many questions?! More importantly, why do I feel as if I have to explain myself? I found myself today forgetting exactly who I am. I am not in school so obviously I'm not a student anymore. I am not currently pursuing a masters so therefore I am not as intelligent as my sister who currently is. I have no guys in my life so obviously, I'm not a girlfriend and no where near a wife. I have a degree in interior design but no "career" which means I'm not an interior designer. So who am I?


In the front cover of my Bible, I have something taped inside. My precious youth pastor gave it to me and it's something I cherish. Tears flooded as I read the first statement.


IN CHRIST:

I am loved by God (1 Thessalonians 1:4)

I am completely forgiven (Ephesians 1:7)

I am chosen by God (1 Thessalonians 1:4)

I am blessed with every spiritual blessing (Ephesians 1:3)

I am made the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21)

I am adopted into God's family (John 1:12)

I am raised up and seated with Christ in heaven (Colossians 3:1)

I am a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)

I am sealed by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30)

I am freed from the power of sin (Galatians 5:1)

I am delivered from darkness into light (John 12:46)

I have peace with God (Romans 5:1)


THAT is who I am.

2 comments:

  1. Love this Betsy. I keep coming back to it, looking over the list of God's promises to us. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a couple years ago i read a really fantastic book by a guy named Parker J. Palmer. It's called "Let Your Life Speak". Now I recommend it to everyone. I think everyone in their twenties should read it.

    take care, betsy!

    ,senor

    ReplyDelete